Opensim 0.8 is comeing, but whats metropolis doing ?

Richardus Raymaker
Richardus Raymaker
 Member edited July 2014 in Technical Support
Finaly opensim 0.8 is comeing, metropolis is already way .. way and again way to long on 0.7.6 (the skipped important 0.7.6.1 already)
But what are the going todo with 0.8. and i mean compleet upgrade to normal 0.8. not soem code injection in old version.

Anyway whats the plan with opensim 0.8 and metropolis ?

Comments

• Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
     Member edited April 2014
    First of all: the actual Metro download "0.7.6.2" is based on OpenSim 0.7.6.1 from last October, they did not skip it. But surely also I hope that the OpenSim folks finish 0.8 sooner or later, and then I'm sure there will be a Metro-Edition 0.8.x, too. On the Web page of OpenSimulator.org, downloads "0.7.6.1" and even "0.7.5.1" are dated to 2014. That's strange, and I must say I don't know what succeeded there. Maybe they have two different versions around with the same numbers, or it is only the same source compiled again?
    Finaly opensim 0.8 is comeing...
    Wow, 1st April? *kidding* My last try of 0.8dev I threw from the server after 5 days. Hopefully at least they have stabilised the merging efforts of advent last year...
    http://justincc.org/blog/2014/03/06/the ... arch-2014/

@Richardus: If you are curious to connect something from the devel line, you can use the connection parameters of Metro and edit them into your prefered OpenSim version. It works fine with the binaries from OSGrid, sometimes I give them a try on my server. Of course, if you don't use the Metro-Edition, you loose the extra features, for example counting hypergridders on your land or connecting with non-persistent IP addresses.
  • Zak Spot
    Zak Spot
     Moderator edited 12:24AM
    Dear Rich,

as you may know the metro grid is not our testgrid and 0.8 is a pure test version. Maybe you also know that we have a lot of tools (map, region management etc) which need adjustion to the new functions wich are comming. Because we want to provide the best grid usability for everyone we won't use a version which we need to change tomorrow because theres a minor new version because thats no fun. As soon as the new version is ready to ship we will be ready too and the main grid will be migrated.

Greetings
    Zak
  • Richardus Raymaker
    Richardus Raymaker
     Member edited April 2014
    Yes mareta, i tried 0.8 on maingrid, that worked except the needed var.
    because some bug in mega. so best is to run your own grid.
    Sorry, this all started a bit because someone responded a bit negative in mailinglist from opensim,, and he used metropolis.
    Anyway he did not responded good in teh mailing list on some news.

Again, test grid is useless if its not full connected to maingrid. you cant TP etc.
  • Dharma Galaxy
    Dharma Galaxy
     Member edited 12:24AM
    I have scripts which run just fine here in Metropolis but which I cannot get working in OSG, so I'm not in any great rush.
  • Zak Spot
    Zak Spot
     Moderator edited 12:24AM
    Yes everything has pros and cons. Greetings
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    Hi Rich,

of course, if you connect something from the 0.8devel line to the Metro main grid, you can use only these addional features, which work exclusive on your own server. The interface to the grid does not change only because a region server changes its code. For example the most actual efforts of BulletSim you can try out, also new scripting features or bugs. But of course you can not create var regions, as long as the grid does not understand the new interface communication, added later than 0.7.6.

The Metro testgrid is different from the OSGrid, as it is updated automatically on a daily basis. Such a test grid is great for software developers and software testers, but much too instable to be interesting for residents. For example, if you want to test var regions, you can connect them to the Metrotest grid.

EDIT: And of course any interested avatar can teleport to the Metrotest grid: metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002
    (Actually, while writing, I'm in the middle of the Metrotest sandbox, hypergridded with the Metropolis maingrid Mareta.)

Greetings,
    Mareta
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    Teleporting to Metrotest, now proudly presenting a standing avatar in the latest developer version (left) compared with a standing avatar at home (right). Maybe, 0.7.6.2 is not too worse. ;)

testc4ug5.jpg

On my Region already Bulletsim is active, so that's not the reason.
  • Lena Vanilli
    Lena Vanilli
     Administrator edited 12:24AM
    Huhu Metros,

and don't forget: we have to change a lot of progs for the 0.8 version. The VarRegion is just one point (but a very important).

@Richy: You can be sure: we only change to the 0.8 version when all changes are made. Not one day fewer. And if we would be the last grid which is doing that! ;) Until then, you can play in the sandbox in the metro-testgrid. ;)

Greetings
    Lena
  • Dings Digital
    Dings Digital
    I travel through other grids as well, and my favorite ones use 0.7.6.
    The idea there seems to be: Provide a grid that is working.
  • Dings Digital
    Dings Digital
    Gridadmins are constantly working to make things happen and get stuff going (although some rumors say that they are sitting on a sunny island counting their millions they made with opensource).
    For example Craft-World last week had a public test to implement VarRegion - which resulted in bad errors and had to be stopped. That's stuff gridadmins are working on with each and every update.
  • Minethere Always
    Minethere Always
    it's not a rumor Dings :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :P

counting+money+pic.jpg
  • Eryn Galen
    Eryn Galen
     Moderator CreativeGroup edited 12:24AM
    Fakt ist, 0.8. wird zum release vorbereitet. Als loses Datum hat Justin Ende April angegeben. Die Zeit bis dahin sollen vor allem für Bugfixes genutzt werden, um die Version stabil herauszugeben. Ich denke, Metro ist gut beraten, bis dahin mit dem Einsatz von 0.8. zu warten :)

It is a fact that 0.8 is being prepped for Release now. Justin has put forward end of April as timeframe for the release candidate. Until then devs have been asked to look at bugfixes primarily. I think Metro would be best off to wait until then to try and implement 0.8 on the Metro Main grid. :)
  • Dings Digital
    Dings Digital
    Is that Wanda, Miney?
  • Minethere Always
    Minethere Always
    Is that Wanda, Miney?

oh, well, I should not say, so, pls do not tell anyone...ok?

I was told it was Lena...shhhh
  • Dharma Galaxy
    Dharma Galaxy
    Better Hyperjumping would be kind of nice, but I do ok jumping through Eld. Other than that I don't see anything in the new version I want. I moved out of OSG to here because of Bullet memory problems, and other flaky behavior. The Metropolis sim isn't perfect, but it's doing a whole lot better than what I left not long enough ago to expect any difference in terms of quality.

I say move to 0.8 very carefully, if at all.