Groups Module

Emil_Jannings
Emil_Jannings
 Member edited September 2014 in Technical Support
I run the software from October 2013 on a Mac mini running Bodhi linux.

I am getting a lot of warnings from the Groups Module. Here's a partial example.

19:06:08 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while attempting to access the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getAgentGroupMembership at http://metropolis.hypergrid.org/groups/xmlrpc.php

There's more and it repeats and repeats.

Is this a common problem? I connect from the US so perhaps my ping-time is a factor. I am tempted to try turning Groups off completely to see the result.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
     Moderator edited 5:23AM
    Hi Em,

if my memory serves me right, Metropolis switched the group module sometime back but I can't find a forum posting about that just now. In my OpenSim.ini there are the following settings:
    [Groups]
        Enabled = true
        LevelGroupCreate = 0
        Module = "Groups Module V2"
        ServicesConnectorModule = "Groups HG Service Connector"
        LocalService = remote
        GroupsServerURI = "http://groups.hypergrid.org:8001";
        HomeURI = "http://hypergrid.org:8002"; 
        MessagingEnabled = true
        MessagingModule = "Groups Messaging Module V2"
        NoticesEnabled = true
        MessageOnlineUsersOnly = true
        DebugEnabled = false
        DebugMessagingEnabled = false

Maybe your configuration wasn't updated correctly.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ciaoooo

Sheera
  • Dings Digital
    Dings Digital
     Member edited 5:23AM
    Hi Emil,

like Sheera said, there were changes to the groups module. So that's the direction to look for the cause.
  • Emil_Jannings
    Emil_Jannings
    Many thanks. I will put that code in my ini file and do a restart.

One more question please. I seem to be clueless about how to stay up with server changes and how and where to get the latest versions. I was assuming that Metro does not change the code base very often, but perhaps I am wrong in this. Can you give may any pointers?

Thanks again. I will try to use my little vacation from OSG to do a better job here.

p.s. Sheera - your patch ran smoothly first time. :D
  • Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
     Moderator edited August 2014
    Hi Em,

glad I could help you out there :-)

You'll find the server software at http://hypergrid.org/metropolis/wiki/en/index.php?title=Downloads#Simulator_Software. Metropolis uses a patched and preconfigured version of opensim optimized for our typical end user connections with changing IPs ... I think there was a special version for the US (preconfigured for different serves) but I'm not quite sure. Metropolis uses the stable releases of OpenSim so it doesn't update too often. but about once in a year is ok though ;-)

Ciaooo

Sheera

Edit: yes, the optimization for overseas and extra-terrestrial users are included in the MetroEdition, no special download required ;-)
  • Emil_Jannings
    Emil_Jannings
    thanks Sheera -- I think that's the site I've used. I see a newer version there now so I will get it later today.
  • Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
    As Metropolis is an open grid you can use any OpenSim with our grid as long as you configure it properly. I know of some regions running the pure OpenSim Vanilla and others using the Arriba fork. We don't have mandatory versions here, but there are difficulties with the TPs if you transfer between older and newer releases...

Ciaooo

Sheera
  • Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
    Huhu Em,

Lena promised to supply a new Sub-Release of the simulator software with the recent fixes to 0.8.0.1 soon. The optimization for users outside of Europe are included in the MetroEdition. So you might want to hold yourself back a moment ;-)

Ciaooo

Sheera
  • Wolfe
    Wolfe
    thanks Sheera -- I think that's the site I've used. I see a newer version there now so I will get it later today.

I was having the same issue, groups no longer appearing in profiles, search or in objects, I see now tonight that error about the groups in red in my console, I think you need to do more than just copy/paste that one groups section into the opensim.ini, I just tried changing that url to the new one with :8001 and I couldn't log into the sim, so it would appear you need to update the whole install not just changing that one [groups] section in the .ini file.
    Makes sense because if they changed the module and changed the ini [Groups] section to go with that, then you need to update all of it.