Removing Sims

karenparks
karenparks
 Member edited February 7 in Technical Support
Help please - I originally set my region up as 4 separate 256x256 sims using the Metaversum server software.

I then changed to a 3 x 3 Var Region and modified Regions.ini to remove the old 4 seperate sims.

When the server software loads the 4 seperate sims still exist and are using memory resources.

I have had to change the location of the new region.

How do I remove the old 4 sims from my system please

Thanks

Karen

Comments

• Eryn Galen
    Eryn Galen
     Moderator CreativeGroup edited 3:56AM
    When you had the 4 separate sims, did you close them with the server command 'quit'or 'shutdown'?
    You might try to delete them via the region manager: http://metropolis.hypergrid.org/regioman.php?

If that does not work, then I would think towards database.
    Let me know...
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
     Member edited 3:56AM
    Attention, deleting a region in the region manager tool means only that the region will be deleted from the grid. This means there is no modification locally on the region server. If the region is up and running in the local opensim installation, the region server will automatically add again the region to the grid soon.
  • Eryn Galen
    Eryn Galen
     Moderator CreativeGroup edited 3:56AM
    Good point, Mareta. I had assumed the simulator not running at the time of deletion via region manager.
  • karenparks
    karenparks
    I have tried QUIT and SHUTDOWN commands. Changed the Regions.ini file from 4 sims to just one and still the original 4 sims still load (the old ones are called East Beach) and have zero objects on them.

Using the region deletion tool works but as soon as I restart the server the regions reappear. It must be a database problem at my end I think ... any ideas (I'm using Linux by the way.)

Thanks everyone

Karen

Eden Beach Clothes Optional Sailing and Relaxation.
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    If you have OAR backups in which you can trust...

1) "shutdown" or "quit" your server.
    2) Look into GridCommon.ini what database name was used. (Be sure not to delete databases of other tools!)
    3) Delete the database in the SQL console (or any graphical tool you like). Console: log in as root, then "drop database MyDatabaseName;"
    4) Delete the regions from the grid with http://metropolis.hypergrid.org/regioman.php
    5) Edit your Regions.ini file: Change the GUIDs of your regions into new ones. Here is a online tool https://guidgenerator.com/ for example.
    6) Create a new database as you did the first time. If you choose other credentials, do not forget to modify GridCommon.ini
    7) Restart OpenSim.exe and answer the questions in the console.

This method is a bit complicated, but you are sure to reach a state where all historical information is deleted. It is a restart from scratch.

8) Restore your OAR files to fill the new empty regions with content again.

Good luck,
    Mareta
  • karenparks
    karenparks
    Grrr - I cant find the database location at all. I have installed a copy of DB Browser for SQLite - will that work??

Another option I have is to save the OAR Backup plus the new Regions,ini, then upgrading my software from Linux Mint 17 to Linux Mint 18, reinstall the server software then run it with the backup Regions.ini, then reinstall the backup OAR file - will this work?

Also if I do the above can i upgrade from a 3x3 to 4x4 region??

Thanks for your assistance

Karen
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    Hi Karen,

as you thought about modifiying the inside of the database I thought you have a real database like MySQL or MariaDB. My fault. If you run SQLite, I suggest to wipe the whole bin directory of OpenSim (or better move it to a backup location) and start with a new OpenSim installation in a fresh bin directory. Then you have also removed the SQLite database.
    Another option I have is to save the OAR Backup plus the new Regions,ini, then upgrading my software from Linux Mint 17 to Linux Mint 18, reinstall the server software then run it with the backup Regions.ini, then reinstall the backup OAR file - will this work?
    Yes, if it works actually you will get the same after the software update. You need backups of OpenSim.ini, GridCommon.ini, Regions.ini and the OARs of all your regions. Then do a fresh install, copy the 3 ini files to their locations, startup in console. There are some questions to be answered on the first startup of OpenSim.exe. Afterwards you should find all regions on their places, but flat and green. Now the OAR part and you are ready.
    Also if I do the above can i upgrade from a 3x3 to 4x4 region??
    This is possible, but I would do it in two steps. First bring your new system in a good and stable state, then create a new VAR region and transfer the OARs. If you restore a OAR to a bigger VAR, you probably need additional parameters for the new location (depending where it shall pop up on the bigger field).
    http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Load_Oar

Kind regards,
    Mareta
  • karenparks
    karenparks
    Finally managed it ..... although it took ages to reinstall the oar.

I did try install the 3x3 oar into a 4x4 region but it failed and didnt load all the objects back, therefore I will leave it as a 3x3 region for the time being.

Does anyone know where I can get a sailable yacht please?????????????????????????????

Thanks everyone!!!

Karen
  • fab23
    fab23
    Here's a fun web generator for the interested: http://www.freepasswordsgenerator.com/guid-generator