Getting an error trying to connect to my regions

fstltna
fstltna
 Member edited May 15 in Technical Support
I upgraded my servers to ubuntu 16.04 and now i can't connect to my previously working regions. Is there something going on at metro? I get this error when trying to connect: 

Comments

• Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
     Moderator edited 12:26AM
    Hi fstltna,

nothing special is going on that I'd be aware of ...

Does the simulator start as usual?
    Do you have a firewall active?
    Did the configuration change on upgrade?
    The error message indicates a problem where the grid services have stored a set of connection parameters (IP and port) that differs from the parameters used by the simulator. So maybe deleting the region via RegioManager Tool (https://metropolis.hypergrid.org/regioman.php) and restarting the simulator might help...

Ciaoo

Sheera
  • fstltna
    fstltna
     Member edited 12:26AM
    Hi fstltna,

nothing special is going on that I'd be aware of ...

Does the simulator start as usual?
    Do you have a firewall active?
    Did the configuration change on upgrade?
    The error message indicates a problem where the grid services have stored a set of connection parameters (IP and port) that differs from the parameters used by the simulator. So maybe deleting the region via RegioManager Tool (https://metropolis.hypergrid.org/regioman.php) and restarting the simulator might help...

Ciaoo

Sheera
    Simulators start as usual and do not report any errors
    No firewall as far as I know
    No other changes were made related to opensim
    I tried deleting the entry for one server, and it made no difference
    Any other ideas?
  • fstltna
    fstltna
    Ok, tracked it down part way. You can connect to port 9000 on the IPv4 address, but not the ipv6 address. Where do I enable the ports for ipv6 in the opensim config?
  • Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
    Glad you found the issue, but IPv6 isn't supported by OpenSim. Your region shouldn't report the IPv6 address to the grid servers so no viewer should try to use this address. Do you use the Metropolis-Edition of the OpenSim-Software?
    In case of a real server with static IP-Address you could put in your correct IPv4-address in the Regions.ini-file:
    ExternalHostName = 47.11.8.15
    or
    ExternalHostName = myserver.mydomain.tld (if the DNS resolves to your IPv4 only)

Ciaoo

Sheera
  • fstltna
    fstltna
    Yes I use the metro version of opensim, but oddly most of my servers in the manager area have the IPv6 address. I will try changing this and see if it sticks...

Marisa
  • Sheera Khan
    Sheera Khan
    If all else fails you could resort to disabling the IPv6 address of your interfaces - I'd have to lookup though how it's done on Ubuntu ...

To test it temporarily you could issue the command:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

to make the setting permanent you have to create a file /etc/sysctl.d/01-disable-ipv6.conf :
    net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

I hope that helps a bit :-)

Ciaoo

Sheera

PS.: Source for those tipps: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/IPv6_deaktivieren
  • fstltna
    fstltna
    Awesome - that fixed it. Either ubuntu 16 or latest mono must be returning the ipv6 address instead of the ipv4 address they used to. When I disable the ipv6 interface everything works fine...