Force metropolis to use server ip from regions.ini

ahicks
ahicks
Is there anyway of stopping metropolis doing its clever stuff deciding what it thinks the server ip address should be for a region and forcing it to use the ip address in regions.ini

I have multiple isp/router connections and it is choosing the wrong one.

Comments

• Lena Vanilli
    Lena Vanilli
     Administrator
    Sure, just type in the real IP-address and it will be recognized by the grid. 
  • ahicks
    ahicks
    No, it is overridden by the looked up in address
  • Lena Vanilli
    Lena Vanilli
     Administrator
    Okay, and you installed the simulators on different servers/pc which are connected to different router? 
  • ahicks
    ahicks
    Installed on a Linus server, in Regions.ini the static IP address of router A is set as the server IP address for the region.  

When OpenSim.exe is run the dynamic IP address of router B appears as the external IP address of the region.

Cannot access the region as the ip forwarding is set for Server A.

If in Region Management console of metropolis the IP address is changed to the static address of server A instead of the incorrect dynamic address then the region can be accessed.  However next time OpenSim.exe is run the IP address reverts back to the wrong ip.

It seems that whatever is put in Regions.ini is overridden by what metropolis is looking up as the systemip address of the server which is returned as IP address A.
  • Lena Vanilli
    Lena Vanilli
     Administrator edited July 9
    The inbuilt handling of dynamic IP-addresses in the OS-Metro-Version works fine, normaly.  But if you don't want to use it, you have to install a #dyndns forwarder or something else. With this #forwarder comes an updater who permanently checks the dynamic IP-address and connect it to a special domain.

But without anything the dynamic IP-address will not be handled correctly.

Try this free forwarder:  https://entrydns.net

But at first be sure, that you are connected to the right router. Check your external IP with this tool: https://hypergrid.org/my_external_ip.php

• ahicks
    ahicks
    The point is I am trying to use a static IP address not a dynamic one, but the external ip being picked up by metropolis version of OpenSim is the dynamic one.

I would love to turn the inbuilt ip handler in  OS-metro-version off but that does not seem posssible.

I have got it all working by abandoning the OS-'metro-version and using the Osgrid version and replacing the osgrid GridCommon.ini with the OS-Metro-version of the ini file.