TP failures

Foxxe
Foxxe
I have been a long time user of these grids. From time to time I bounce from Metropolis to OSGrid and back, so I KNOW I have everything set up correctly.

HOWEVER for some odd reason I keep getting the following issue:
"Could not teleport. Service request failed: Invalid URI: Invalid port specified"

The ports are properly forwarded, the ports are properly entered into RegionConfig.ini and I have even checked and rechecked my DDNS account and everything is running normally...

Is it possible that much of this is due to running on ancient hosting software? I have gotten the latest one available online but that is just over 2 years old.

Comments

• Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    You write "just over 2 years old". In December 2015 some ports in the Metropolis grid have changed. Maybe an update is the solution. Otherwise I have no idea.

https://forum.metrogrid.de/discussion/comment/28940/#Comment_28940

• Genie Fegte
    Genie Fegte
     Member edited December 2017
    This looks like the IPv6 Problem. 
    You have to disable IPv6 in your networkcard settings and hope your ISP provides IPv4
    greets
    Genie

• anivil
    anivil
    Same Error Message  from Startregions at the same time. So no local problem! 
  • Foxxe
    Foxxe
    You write "just over 2 years old". In December 2015 some ports in the Metropolis grid have changed. Maybe an update is the solution. Otherwise I have no idea.

https://forum.metrogrid.de/discussion/comment/28940/#Comment_28940

I do find it odd that they have not updated the software in such a long time. This would help people that never bother with forums to actually stay up to date.
  • Foxxe
    Foxxe
    This looks like the IPv6 Problem. 
    You have to disable IPv6 in your networkcard settings and hope your ISP provides IPv4
    greets
    Genie

I assume you mean router settings as many network drivers have yet to even acknowledge IPv6. Still if the system doesn't use it, whether or not it be an active part of the programming should not be any issue at all.
  • Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    Foxxe said:

I do find it odd that they have not updated the software in such a long time. This would help people that never bother with forums to actually stay up to date.
    Well, I'm a bit confused now, sorry. The actual download is up to date of course and fitting best to Metropolis grid. I (mis?)understood your writing that you had an over 2 years old region config. So I assumed that maybe the parameter changes could be missing there.

Genie means that more and more providers stop the generic IPv4 service for their clients (especially end users in their homes). In the marketing speech they use something similar to "Dual Stack Lite" or "DS-Lite". In this case it is no longer possible to run a OpenSim region server at home.
    And with "you have to disable IPv6 in your networkcard settings" is meant that Microsoft Windows prefers IPv6 if it finds IPv6 connectivity, even if OpenSim of course wants and needs IPv4.

EDIT: Another source of the TP issues could be that OSgrid uses a very recent developer version of OpenSim 0.9 (the future 0.9.1), and Metropolis uses OpenSim 0.8.3. There are some incompatibilities. Maybe that causes TP problems in some special situations?
    If you search for a test scenario, you can set up a test region using OpenSim 0.9 adapting its .ini files to Metro. That does not harm the Metro grid servers even though they run 0.8.3. If the TP problems go away on a OpenSim 0.9 region, that is a strong sign of compatibility issues.
    Or you can try the OpenSim Arriba fork which is used in several grids and has some workarounds included. But attention: Do not mix up .ini files from mainstream OpenSim and OpenSim Arriba, they differ!

• Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Foxxe said:

Well, I'm a bit confused now, sorry. The actual download is up to date of course and fitting best to Metropolis grid. I (mis?)understood your writing that you had an over 2 years old region config. So I assumed that maybe the parameter changes could be missing there.

Genie means that more and more providers stop the generic IPv4 service for their clients (especially end users in their homes). In the marketing speech they use something similar to "Dual Stack Lite" or "DS-Lite". In this case it is no longer possible to run a OpenSim region server at home.

EDIT: Another source of the TP issues could be that OSgrid uses a very recent developer version of OpenSim 0.9 (the future 0.9.1), and Metropolis uses OpenSim 0.8.3. There are some incompatibilities. Maybe that causes TP problems in some special situations?
    If you search for a test scenario, you can set up a test region using OpenSim 0.9 adapting its .ini files to Metro. That does not harm the Metro grid servers even though they run 0.8.3. If the TP problems go away on a OpenSim 0.9 region, that is a strong sign of compatibility issues.
    Or you can try the OpenSim Arriba fork which is used in several grids and has some workarounds included. But attention: Do not mix up .ini files from mainstream OpenSim and OpenSim Arriba, they differ!
    Seriously, I've done literally nothing at all to the Metropolis ini files for well over a year now and at that time things were laggy (naturally as Germany is about 6810 km away). It worked no problem back in February 2017 but no luck since.

My only other recourse is now to hunt for another grid that allows people to host while connected to them as Metropolis and OSgrid both do.

• Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    For first of course it is most important that you find a solution that works for you. :)

But maybe you remain curious to find a config which allows direct TP from Metro to OSgrid? I have tested this morning a TP from Metro to OSgrid and another back to home in Metro, both TP's with success. Starting on my region "Foresta" in Metropolis with my Metropolis Avatar. Targeting "hg.osgrid.org:80:Lbsa Plaza" which is the most official welcome region of OSgrid. So there is no general block of Metro residents in OSgrid.

But normally I use the OpenSim Arriba fork on my regions, maybe that works better with Hypergrid to 0.9.x regions as the old vanilla 0.8.3. If you have time, you could give Arriba a try. The link in my last comment points to my home page which hosts a Arriba binary preconfigured for Metro. Just open OpenSim.ini and edit the very few parameters in that really small (!) file. Then, If you want to use MySQL instead of SQLite, edit the database connection in GridCommon.ini. In that case please use another (new) database for not disturbing your original setup. If it comes up with an empty region and TP works, later you can import an OAR of your real region.

Then you know that either the 0.8.3 caused the problem (if TP works) or your environment or infrastructure causes the problem (if TP does not work also on Arriba).

• Foxxe
    Foxxe
    No... I am not interested in Hypergrid jumping at this time. Just me merely gaining access to my own estates is the BIG question here.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I assume your native language is not english so I will try to explain. I am looking for a grid that allows estates that are hosted on one's home computer to link up with them.

OSgrid has currently got extensive asset server problems (I've lost much of what I've built up over the past 7 years in my inventory). It has also been suggested that they are going to have a monetary system in place which means all the greedy people are trying to stop people who have their items in their malls to stop distributing them. (I do not care for greedy fools in the least)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, here I am, hoping DESPERATELY that someone might come forward and explain just WHAT has changed so much over the past 2 years here that I can't go to my own estates anymore!

• Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Are you using the NAT Loopback adapter? I'm just asking because this thing has been broken for quite a while due to changes from http:// to https:// for the external ip address lookup service at Metropolis. If this is the cause of your problem I can provide an easy fix for this.

Sorry I'm in a hurry and didn't have the time to carefully read through and think about all the comments here, so my question/hint might not be relevant to the issue.
  • Foxxe
    Foxxe
     Member edited January 18
    Pius Noel said:
    Are you using the NAT Loopback adapter? I'm just asking because this thing has been broken for quite a while due to changes from http:// to https:// for the external ip address lookup service at Metropolis. If this is the cause of your problem I can provide an easy fix for this.

Sorry I'm in a hurry and didn't have the time to carefully read through and think about all the comments here, so my question/hint might not be relevant to the issue.

This is probably the closest response I've seen yet. Yes, of course I use the NAT. This IS standard practice and the last time I was successful in Metropolis, apparently it WAS working then. (extra note, I NEVER use the MS version as I DDNS; it is far more useful and does not assume that I am hosting a standalone.

Don't worry about the other responses either as very few seemed to understand the issue at all. (some thought it had something to do with hypergridding despite absolutely no mention of it)

There was also a new oddity error.

2018-01-17 18:42:18,714 ERROR - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.ServiceConnectorsOut.AgentPreferences.RemoteAgentPreferencesServicesConnector [AGENT PREFERENCES CONNECTOR]: AgentPreferencesService missing from OpenSim.ini
    This is normally in gridcommon.ini but the metropolis version does not have one in the package

• Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    ok. This is how to fix the issue with the NAT loopback tool.

Find this line in the file NAT_Loopback_Tool.bat:
    for /f %%a in ('wget -q -O - %URL%') do set NewIP=%%a

And change it like this:
    for /f %%a in ('wget --no-check-certificate -q -O - %URL%') do set NewIP=%%a

This will override the certificate check and open the page as before.

I also provided a zip file for download with my fix in the following post:
    https://forum.metrogrid.de/discussion/comment/31224/#Comment_31224

Good luck! :+1:
  • Copper Tomsen
    Copper Tomsen
    Why nor´t simply using the Metro console...It uses systemID and all is solved. genie is right about it...
    All the discussion that some DDNS and others dont use it, cant be the target!
    One should accept as it is. This would help all: The User and all who have to read.
    Metro Admins put those possibilities for a reason. And to compare with other grids just shows that one doesnt have miuch experience. Again: Many use metro as asset server..And the rest of the comunity has to pay for it when i.e. OS is down. This is simply unfair!
  • Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    @Copper Tomsen what is the "Metro console" and the systemID you are talking about? It's something I'm not aware of. Where is it documented? Please explain, how to use it.

You wrote "Metro Admins put those possibilities for a reason". Great, but then they should let us know how to use it in a way it works for all of us or fix the issues (I'm not going to blame the admins here, they do a great job).

I agree that things should get simplified for the user and not be made more complicated with DDNS and tools like the loopback adapter, but unfortunately as technology evolves things are not necessarily getting less complicated. The contrary is the case and what works for some of us doesn't work for others. No, sorry, but "One should accept as it is" is not an option!

As Genie pointed out, as one of the possibilities it could be related to IPv6. Unfortunately, the IPv6 dual stack implementation varies from provider to provider. Whether and how the issue can be fixed or not, depends from case to case.

Last but not least, I think if a tool has been documented and is available for download in the Metropolis Wiki, it should be fixed in case its broken due issues created by website security changes.

Personally I think, like Mareta pointed out in another post, it's often easier to outsource the hosting of an Opensimulator. I think the Metropolis offers are great! If you prefer to run your sim yourself, there are many relatively cheap Linux VM offerings and Maretas tutorials are great.

Pius
  • Copper Tomsen
    Copper Tomsen
    Some reading helps..Even me as not-so-much-tech-person found it, and pre-configured OS software helped. Sorry I used wrong letter. Typos can happen. I ment systemIP:
    Here URL so one doesnt have to search so long (I extra searched at english version: https://hypergrid.org/metropolis/wiki/en/index.php?title=SIM