Extreme lag in Centerworld and Metropolis regions

Han Held
Han Held
 Member edited January 22 in Technical Support
Hi, everyone.

Since joining in 2013 I have often logged in at Centerworld or Metropolis in order to load my inventory, and proceeded to where-ever I was going. 

Since mid December I have had extreme lag and frequent disconnects when I log in to either region.

This is an old, old problem, and I believe is because I live in Alaska. But has become much worse in the last month. 

My packet loss has been between 1.2% to 1.5%, with a region ping between 50k to 300k. 

It seems that if I manage to stay connected (this morning I had 3 or 4 disconnects), it calms down once my inventory is loaded. But this can take over 15 minutes and often I am disconnected before it finishes. 

I have my network settings set to 850, which seems to work fine in other worlds (sl, osgrid, etc). I have my draw distance set to 128.

I am cable-connected; I'm not on wireless, I'm not on DSL. I performed some benchmarks:

Speedtest to Anchorage, Alaska; http://www.speedtest.net/result/6990330128

Speedtest to Phoenix, Arizona,US (recommended by firestorm); http://www.speedtest.net/result/6990325950

Speedtest to Berlin: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6990323406

I'm not sure what can be done, short of crashing on one of y'alls couch :p I'd be happy to look at whatever, though, if there's a chance it can help.

I'm using Firestorm 5.0.7 (52912), on Windows 10, 64 bit, i5-7400, 16 gigs of ram, latest Radeon drivers, my router doesn't have any kind of QoS features enabled (those kill SL and Opensim)

Thanks for any help you're able to give. :)

Thanked by: Zonja Capalini

Comments

• Zonja Capalini
    Zonja Capalini
    Same for me, and I'm connecting from Barcelona. Some details:

* Previously, I could connect to my metropolis-hosted region (Condensation Land) directly without any kind of problem. Now 95% of the times I get disconnected ("the region is experimenting problems", etc).

* Entering through *Metropolis* is slow, but works most of the time.

* if I want to connect to a self-hosted region, in 90% of the cases I lose my (Firestorm) AO and I can't edit my own objects.

If I can get to enter via *Metropolis* and tp to one of my regions, everything seems fine.
    Thanked by: Han Held
  • Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Sorry I can't help. I just wanted to let you know that TG-IT at Falkenstein is the closest speedtest service to the Metropolis Servers I'm aware of (same data center). I'm afraid that you cant do much.

I'm located in Switzerland and the only thing I can tell you is that I experience no issues or lag when I connect to *Metropolis" or *Centerworld* (due to the many objects the latter is always a bit critical if you don't set the drawing distance very low).

Until recently I've been in a much similar situation when I connected to Secondlife or OSGrid. Since my old ISDN router has been replaced by some new equipment my Speedtests to the US as well as my connections to OSGrid or Secondlife perform quite well. I've often been told that my problems could have been related to outdated router hardware that was unable to handle the network requests.

A few thoughts that come into my mind:
    1) Lower your drawing distance
    2) Keep your inventory as low as possible (evtl. test with another avatar)
    3) As a test, start on my region "ipsum" which has only a few objects on it.
  • Han Held
    Han Held
    Pius Noel said:
    I'm afraid that you cant do much.

I was afraid that was the case -my speedtest results confirmed that. Maybe I can figure out a work-around. I'll take you up on your offer of logging in at ipsum ...thank you! :)

I've been backing up my inventory, so I'll start pruning things.  Right now it's approximately 21k -I have a lot of things that just need to go away. :)

• cariolane
    cariolane
    Bonjour à tous,

Je confirme aussi un début d'année très difficile sur Métropolis. Beaucoup de mal à éditer les objets sur ma sim et des déconnections que je ne compte même plus...j'avais une sim très fluide et aucun laggue avant ce mois de janvier. Et un nouveau problème, depuis quelques semaines c'est de me retrouver sur une sim vide, il faut au moins entre 15 à 30 minutes pour que les prims apparaissent, si je ne crashe pas avant. Il n'y a pourtant eu aucun nouveau build sur ma sim qui pourrait expliquer une telle dégradation :-( .
  • Han Held
    Han Held
    cariolane said:
    Bonjour à tous,

Je confirme aussi un début d'année très difficile sur Métropolis. Beaucoup de mal à éditer les objets sur ma sim et des déconnections que je ne compte même plus...j'avais une sim très fluide et aucun laggue avant ce mois de janvier. Et un nouveau problème, depuis quelques semaines c'est de me retrouver sur une sim vide, il faut au moins entre 15 à 30 minutes pour que les prims apparaissent, si je ne crashe pas avant. Il n'y a pourtant eu aucun nouveau build sur ma sim qui pourrait expliquer une telle dégradation :-( .
    fr:
    J'ai des régions qui sont connectées à partir de mon VPS. Ils semblent nécessiter un redémarrage environ une fois par jour. Si vous êtes en mesure de redémarrer le vôtre, cela pourrait aider. A part ça, je n'en ai aucune idée.

de:

Ich habe Regionen, die von meinem vps aus verbunden sind. Sie scheinen ungefähr einmal am Tag einen Neustart zu erfordern. Wenn Sie Ihren Computer neu starten können, hilft das möglicherweise. Ansonsten habe ich keine Ahnung.

en:
    I have regions that are connected from my vps. They seem to require a restart approximately once a day. If you're able to restart yours, that might help. Other than that, I have no idea.

msce:
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Zonja Capalini
    Zonja Capalini
     Member edited January 26
    Been testing Pius Noel's advice. If I log in to *Metropolis* wirh a Draw Distance of 32, then wait for my inv to be loaded, in most cases it all seems to work well afterwards.

BUT:

* I previously was used to log in at Condensation Land with a DD of 1024 with no problem, and I am currently unable to.
    * I absolutely detest to have to log in at a determined place. One has (ahem) circumstances where one doesn't want to be seen in public wearing their latest garments (coughs).
    * I see this new state of things as a degradation of service. Not that I'm going to complain: I'm still a fan of the Metro. I simply would have loved to have been warned beforehand.
    Thanked by: Han Held