Sim Crashes after being on line for several Days

Lucy Afarensis
Lucy Afarensis
My sim boots normally but after several days it crashes and I find this error on my console:

Native stacktrace:

mono(+0xc8d94) [0x559fc3bebd94]
        mono(+0x12204e) [0x559fc3c4504e]
        mono(+0x3e063) [0x559fc3b61063]
        /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x110c0) [0x7fa12770c0c0]
        /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(pthread_setname_np+0x45) [0x7fa12770d0f5]
        mono(mono_native_thread_set_name+0x3b) [0x559fc3da5ccb]
        mono(+0x1c0822) [0x559fc3ce3822]
        mono(+0x1c08e2) [0x559fc3ce38e2]
        [0x41cc7c8f]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================

Aborted

If I boot it again it boots ok. It is on a Debian Server.

Thanked by: Han Held

Comments

• Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Basically it looks like a threading issue. 

I have a few questions before going further into details:
    1. What is the Edition and version of the Opensim software you are using?
    2. What is the Version of Debian you are using? (uname -a)
    3. What is the Version of Mono you are using? (mono --version)
    4. Are you using the integrated sqlite or are you sing MySQL?
    5. In case of MySQL which version? (mysql --version)
    6:  Did you make any changes to the following values in the [Startup] section in OpenSim.ini?
    • async_call_method = SmartThreadPool
    • MaxPoolThreads = 30 
    7. How much memory do you have available after Opensim has been running for a while? (free)
    8) Is your Debian running on a virtual server or on a physical machine (bare metal)?

Without these information it's difficult (probably impossible) to find a solution to resolve the issue.

Pius
  • Lucy Afarensis
    Lucy Afarensis
    1. What is the Edition and version of the Opensim software you are using?
    I am using the present download from metropolis

2. What is the Version of Debian you are using? (uname -a)
    Linux vmi161783.contaboserver.net 4.9.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

3. What is the Version of Mono you are using? (mono --version)
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.6.2 (Debian 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
            TLS:           __thread
            SIGSEGV:       altstack
            Notifications: epoll
            Architecture:  amd64
            Disabled:      none
            Misc:          softdebug
            LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
            GC:            sgen

4. Are you using the integrated sqlite or are you sing MySQL?
    sqlite

6:  Did you make any changes to the following values in the [Startup] section in OpenSim.ini?
    No

7. How much memory do you have available after Opensim has been running for a while? (free)
    total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:       51530520     4153216    46528908      511944      848396    46359496
    Swap:             0           0           0
    There are a number of osgrid servers running also. The Metro server has been running for a day and is still up.

8) Is your Debian running on a virtual server or on a physical machine (bare metal)?
    Virtual

Thank you for your attention

• Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Good report, Lucy. Quite a powerful vServer ;) Are the OSGrid servers crashing too?

For now, all I can suggest is to try to downgrade from Debian 9 to Debian 8 with Mono 3.2.8, but I'm not sure it helps and is worth to do the work involved.

Last week I tried to help someone with an upgrade from a smaller VPS with Debian 7 to a bigger VPS after he experienced lag and performance issues. By chance I had access to a similar server that was no longer used, but still paid until next week.

At first we tried Debian 9 with Mono 4.6.2 and MariaDB 10.1.26. Unfortunately with this combination Opensim (Metropolis 0.8.3 edition) was hanging forever on shutdown.

Next we tried Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Mono 4.2.1. I suggested this combination because my servers are running Opensim 0.8.3 Metropolis on a private server in container based environment for weeks without ever crashing. Not so in this case, the simulator crashed after a view hours, between 3 and 8 times a day, even at night and without activity, on a simulator with just 5 almost empty regions, a few prims and less than 10 scripts on it.

Finally we installed Debian 8 with Mono 3.2.8 and MariaDB. This works under simular conditions without crashes, at least for a few days (I had no crash over the last 5 days).

However, the person I tried to help reported similar lag issues as before on the smaller server with Debian 7.
  • Lucy Afarensis
    Lucy Afarensis
     Member edited March 13
    Thanks for the reply. The OSGrid servers are running well with no problems. I have another server that I will try different flavors of linux and mono. I will let you know the results. I checked the dashboard and it says my server response is good. All are welcome to visit. The name is " The Western Isle"