Local access to server for connecting

wolfstep
wolfstep
I brought up a new server a week or so ago and was wondering how or what I need to modify so I can connect to my sim server locally. The trip from the US to Europe then back again seems very inefficient. Because I am connecting to Metro.land I reviewed the online docs and could not find anything that could help. It easy to spin up a region and load oars. But I really would like to "walk" the regions to make sure everything looks ok.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bob

Comments

• savino
    savino
    hmm i know not what server you are running but if you want remote you server it is posible but on start walking in you owned sims you have many ways of vieuwers so far also mobile apps but if you not say you systems spects can people not help you..
  • Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Hi Bob

If I understand you correctly, you want to set up an Opensim Server on your local PC to connect your own regions to the Metropolis Grid, and you've already set up those regions, but you can not access them yourself. Right?

Actually every thing should be written here: 
    https://hypergrid.org/metropolis/wiki/en/index.php?title=SIM

The following requirements must be met:

1) Fixed IP address or DynDNS
    First of all, make sure your router has a fixed external IPv4 address or is always reachable with a fixed name via Dynamic DNS (such as DynDNS).

2) Port forwarding on the router must be set.
    For all ports configured for your Opensim server and the regions, port forwarding to your PC for UDP and TCP must be set on the router.

3) Port settings for firewalls
    All ports used by Opensim must be enabled in the firewall to allow traffic for UDP and TCP. Not all ports need to be enabled incomming and outgoing traffic in both directions, but it does not hurt either. For the sake of simplicity, I forego details here.

Once these conditions are met, your regions should be visible in the Metropolis grid and accessible to others. If you can not access your own regions, but others can, then we have the next problem.

4) Your Internet Gateway aka router must support NAT loopback
    Only NAT loopback makes it possible for your own computer to be accessible from your local network via your external network address. This was not a problem with previous network technology a couple of years ago, but then this option was prevented on most routers for security reasons.

Today most modern routers support proper and secure NAT loopback, but by no means all. Especially when it comes to Internet gateways of cable TV operators, the possibilities are usually limited. 

Depending on the ISP, it's sometimes possible to attach a router that supports NAT Loopback (e.g. Fritzbox in Europe).   

A term closely related to NAT loopback is hairpinning: hairpinning refers to the communication between two devices in the same network via the external IP of the Internet gateway. NAT loopback is the technique that makes hairpinning possible.

If you have this problem, take Google and search for "NAT Loopback" or "Hairpinning" and check with your provider what can be done. 

Finally, most important is of course your Opensim configuration. If you use the software from the Metropolis download, then the configuration should already fit. Only the ports added for additional regions will be added, if you have more than one region.

I hope this helps. However, don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Pius

• wolfstep
    wolfstep
     Member edited August 21
    Pius,
    Much appreciate your reply. Yes I actually am running the Opensim on Dell servers. I have been doing network design for over 30 years. (hence my frustration) However, I can not say, I haven't missed a step ever.
    From the outside world coming into the server works great. Trying to connect from one station on the same subnet internally, no connect from server. I have even tried using localhost on the server with firestorm.

My router has NAT running and it works fine for every other service I host. My issues seem to be specific to the opensim. I hadn't made any drastic changes to the configs. But I will double check all the usual steps.
    I stripped my firewall down out of my router and only forwarded the 8k & 9k ports needed directly to the server. I disabled the firewall on the server itself.
    I have several external IPs for my servers that are handled by my router. I have one specific to this server and it is mapped to the internal IP of the server.
    At this point, I am going to have to start from the ground up and add the layers on one at a time, till I find the offending issue. My original hypothesis was that something in the configs disable local access to create a more controlled environment.for Metro to keep the network pollution to a minimum.
    I really enjoy using a server that would have normally been retired for a cool project as this. I have 3 more processors and 75 TB still waiting to be brought on line still. I have them disabled until I am confident the bugs in my config are worked out. If anything pops into your mind, please feel free to ping me anytime. The help will be gratefully appreciated.

Bob

• savino
    savino
    Dell Servers Are Very Well Good Systems ..mijn Friend Have Donate Me 2 Of Dells And I Like this Machines..This Servers Are Stored With Linux As Test Machines Fpr My Projects....