Changing our account names; can we have that back?

Han Held
Han Held
Hi!

Before the shake-up last year we were able to change our account names in the metropolis dashboard; in the metrotools.

I can't find how to do that now, I assume that hasn't been implemented yet?

It was more useful to me than you'd think -and a good workaround for not having "display names" like SL has.

If it's possible to bring that back -the way it worked in the old metro- I'd love it if it could be brought back.

Either way, thank you for the work you do to keep the lights on. :)

Comments

• Han Held
    Han Held
    (if nothing else, I wouldn't have to delete and change accounts each time I get virtually dumped and e-ghosted. :p :D I could simply change my username and go on)

• Copper Tomsen
    Copper Tomsen
     Member edited February 12
    Hey Han,
    what a sense makes changing names? Isnt it so having a name (like in rl) so people can recognize you always, and not be confused with permanently altered names?
    Compared to sl (what they now also plan to change back) here you dont have to be within the huge "family" named Resident ^
  • Han Held
    Han Held
    Hey Han,
    what a sense makes changing names?
    Roleplaying for one. It avoids the need to re-roll or to create alternate accounts.

I did it recently on Kitely, and as I remember it's a feature that is possible with Diva's Wifi.

EDIT: just confirmed -you can do it with Wifi.

• Mareta Dagostino
    Mareta Dagostino
    On a roleplaying region changing names does not matter. But - if it would be possible here again in future - there are complications in the Hypergrid.

1) Each object which you create, as "creator" has the unique UUID of your account together with the account name you had when you created the object. But one grid knows only one account name per UUID.

2) If you teleport to another grid, on that grid your UUID is connected with the account name you had on the first teleport.

Even if the admins add some option to modify your account name in Metro, this modification would not appear in other grids you visited before or on objects you created before. I think (1) was the main reason for LL to invent "display names" instead of modifying the original account names.

So, in my opinion technically it would be the better solution to exchange both UUID and name together, what in fact is a new account.
    Thanked by: Pius Noel
  • Pius Noel
    Pius Noel
    Personally I dont care whether people are changing names or using alts.

I'm not a roleplayer but in many cases I can think of an advantage to have multiple accounts with character and role based inventories that load faster and look less messy ;)

Like Mareta said, from a technical point of view it's especially a problem for Hypergrid enabled grids.

Linden Lab will bring that functionality to SL soon, but I'm quite sure it's less easy than it's sounds. Not only from a technical point of view but also from a social point of view. How to deal with name changes in chat, IM, friends lists, groups, object creators and owners, calling cards etc.?

Watching the recording of a TPV Developer meeting been held recently I heard that this new option will be a server thing that will not harm the Secondlife Viewer. But, what about the user data that are stored on the PC? Directories and files are named after usernames and not the UUID.

I can imagine situation where it would be great you could simply just change your username without loosing your inventory and anything else that depends on your id. But in general I think an option to change account names does more harm then good.
  • Copper Tomsen
    Copper Tomsen
    Han Held schrieb:
    Hey Han,
    what a sense makes changing names?
    Roleplaying for one. It avoids the need to re-roll or to create alternate accounts.

I did it recently on Kitely, and as I remember it's a feature that is possible with Diva's Wifi.

EDIT: just confirmed -you can do it with Wifi.

An easy idea for this could also be using flip titlers (hover text names) many Trek RP groups have, and then turn off show name in viewer. This could be an easier solution?
    @ Mareta.. there were / are problems with this simona stick avatar and UUID some years ago:
    https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2017/08/soas-default-identity-complicates-copyrights/
  • Han Held
    Han Held
    My UUID stays the same, no matter what my name shows up as.

So when I meet and date Brian Buttknocker I can be Hannah Buttknocker

Then when he leaves me for Hilda Hoebagg I can date his boss, Franklin Fuggabouttit
    making me Hannah Fuggaboutit

For each of those changes, instead of remaking my avatar from scratch I can keep and use my inventory, regions and builds -because they're tied to my UUID.

You are right about the hypergrid, but honestly I'm not worried about that. I'm aware of the issue, though (I'm still having friends show up as whatever@hypergrid.org :/)
  • Han Held
    Han Held
    Mind you -I'm already  using this feature on other grid, so it isn't urgent for me.

I'm curious, but in no rush either way.